Hello Again!
Sorry it has taken me some time to add another post, but I have been so busy! I just had an amazing weekend in Campania! On Friday we left Tuscania at 6:30 in the morning...it was awful. We had to first go to Rome to pick up the Rome LDM (Lorenzo Medici's kids, but also the other API students who go to John Cabot University (which is like 50 students). So, we were a huge group, which was kind of a bummer. But, we left Rome and went to Vesuvius, which we hiked to the very top (the bus brought us most of the way). The views were unbelievable and Napoli (Naples) and the bay looked beautiful from that far away. However, we got out of Napoli very quickly because it is run by the mafia and it is pretty unsafe (and there is garbage everywhere!). After the hike we made our way to our hotel in Sorrento (3 hours). API paid for our dinner that night and it was really good Neapolitan food. We had bruscetta (which they pronounce brus-K-etta), gnocchi, cake, and coke WITH ICE. We are already laughing at all of the simple pleasures- normal sized showers, toilet seats, ice, and the list goes on. Then we had a free night in Sorrento to shop and roam around the beautiful town.
The next morning we woke up and took a hydrofoil over to the island of Capri (prounced KA-pri); however, before we boarded the boat there was a huge storm. We were all standing outside without jackets or umbrellas and the wind, rain, and HAIL were gracing us with its presence. Once we arrived on Capri the rain stopped and it was beautiful weather. We had a free day to explore the island. We took a lift up to the main city of Capri and did some shopping, we took a bus up to the smaller city of Anacapri (less touristy) and had an amazingly secluded lunch, and then we went down to the bottom and sat on the rocky beach for a few hours. When I say rocky I don’t mean sandy with some rocks. I literally mean there were only rocks, tons of rocks. It was really cool but painful. There was also so much sea glass, which of course I collected. The Mediterranean Sea is just as beautiful as you would imagine. I had no idea that it was actually clear. You can see your toes! (Also, I forgot to tell you that Thursday LDM Tuscania took us to Lake Bolsena, the largest volcanic lake in Europe. It is about 15 minutes from Tuscania and it is gorgeous! Again, it is SO clear and beautiful). Ok, then after the beach we got back on the hydrofoil and it began to rain again (surprise, surprise). Then we had a wonderful free night in Sorrento. I bought SO much stuff…a.k.a. I got a lot of Christmas shopping done. Then we had a beautiful dinner with all of the LDM people- Tuscania and Rome (about 10 people)- at this restaurant where we were serenaded and I was kissed by an old man who works there (seriously!). Then we had gelato of course!
Sunday we left the hotel and drove to Pompeii! It was actually a lot cooler than I had imagined. Then we made the 5 hour trip back home. After being surrounded by people in the big cities we have determined that we hate tourists and we hate the big cities. We are so content being the only Americans in Tuscania and living in a quiet town with nothing to do. The constant noise and busyness were awful! This week I just have class and we have a free weekend, which we are so excited about. Also, on Thursday Monica is going to take us to learn how to do basket weaving!!! We are so excited! I will post more pictures soon! I love you all!
Lauren
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Glad that you are enjoying your stay ... and enjoying the simple pleasures of Italian life! HAve you heard of Montecatini - - I think it is north of Rome; this is where my Grandma Rusciolelli is frome. We have distant cousins there. My dream is to one day visit Italy!
Post a Comment