The Flight
Hello Everyone!
Well, after months and months of waiting, getting things approved, packing, and saying goodbye to all of my family and friends, I am finally in Italy. However, the trip here was not as pleasant as I would have liked. The flight was very long and was full of turbulence. As a result, I got motion sickness and passed out about 25 minutes from the airport. I immediately felt better and was able to get off the plane and collect my baggage without a problem. Then, I met my site director (Monica) and the rest of the API crew (API= Academic Programs International). We all put our stuff on a large bus and began the 1 hour drive to Roma. My first step off the bus in Roma was immediately followed by vomiting in the street in front of my hotel. Not Fun!
Rome
For the next two days, I was unable to eat and drink anything other than bread and water, which is a total disgrace in Italy. However, God is great and I was feeling well enough to participate in all of the outings. We saw so many awesome things in Rome! We went to the Colosseo, the Trevi Fountain, the Vatican museum, and St. Peter's Basilica Our hotel was gorgeous and I made some great friends. There are only four API Tuscania students: Me, Katie, Maggie, and Melissa. They are all awesome girls and we have had so much fun together already. On Wednesday, we finally made our trek to Tuscania (pronounced- tus-con-ya): our new home. It was the first day that I felt 100% since my arrival, and it could not have come at a better time.
Tuscania (Tus-con-ya)
Well, my new home is absolutely the most beautiful place that I have ever been. Not only are the views breathtaking, but the architecture is so "authentically Italian". I feel like I'm in a movie all the time. The first stop off the bus was my house: the home of Maria Carla and Dominico. They are absolutely wonderful people who spoil me rotten. Maria does my laundry, cooks dinner, and buys me anything that I ask her about. Also, she doesn't let me clean up anything. When I asked her if I could help she told me, "No, I'm your mama". I eventually told her (in really poor Italian), "Maria, if I eat, I help". She chuckled and sheepishly said, "OK". The only difficult thing about living there is that they speak no (very little) English. However, my Italian is improving quickly. I have learned a lot already-- mostly vocabulary-- so I probably sound like a 2 year old most of the time, but it gets my point across. They are so sweet and I could not have asked for better people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Lauren,
Your mom sent your blog link to me...how cool! Sounds like it was a rough trip getting there, but it's already worth it. I love the pics you've already posted and I can't wait to see/hear more. Have fun!
Denise @ MAC
Lauren,
I miss you so much. I want you to come home from Italy. I love you Lauren.
- Reese
Lauren,
I love you so much. I miss you very much! Hope you are having fun.
Love,
Kassidy
Glad that you made it there safe and sound and that you are feeling better. Hope the rest of your stay abroad is wonderful and full of JOY! Can't wait to hear about your cooking class =-) =-) God bless you, Lauren! Ciao!
Hey bubba,
The pictures are gorgeous. Jake and Nikki said hi and send their love. It looks like you are having a great time. Just don't have too much fun and get tooooo spoiled, you have to study. Send lots more pics so we can be jealous. Well talk to you soon. We love you and miss you.
U. Sam and A. Diana
Post a Comment